Frequently Asked Questions
No building is too large or small for us to build. Conventional sizes (24×32, 30×40, 40×60….) can be more cost effective because of stock building supplies.
Pressure treated 4×6 posts are standard on buildings smaller than 12,000 cu. Ft. (30’W x 40’L x 10’H). 3-Ply glue-lam posts are standard for buildings over 12,000 cu. Ft. (30’W x 40’L x 10’H).
Our primary steel suppliers are Central States and A.B. Martin. We also offer Fabral and Everlast products. Cost and warranty period varies with type of steel. We also offer 24 gauge standing seam roofing.
Yes. Besides standard, 29 gauge steel, we offer vinyl, hardi-plank, and pine or cedar siding. We also offer asphalt shingles and standing seam for roofing.
Typically, the customer is responsible for obtaining the necessary permits for the building, however, at Superior Buildings we offer complete general contracting service in which your sales rep will be happy to assist you in this process or do all of the work for you. You, the customer, are responsible for any set-backs, size restrictions, etc. necessary to comply with your local municipality, homeowners association, etc.
As of August 15th, 2022, we are booked out 2-3 months for jobs within 1 hour of our office. For projects in other areas, please contact us for availability. As for the actual building process, the time can range from days to months, depending on the type of project.
At Superior Buildings, we offer complete excavation and site prep. If you decide to do your own site prep, it is necessary that the building pad be approx. 5 ft. larger than the building on all sides. (i.e. a 30×40 barn should have a 40×50 building pad.)
Your building site should be within 6” of level. If your pad is more than 12” off grade, you may incur extra costs. However, as long as you are willing to pay the extra costs, we can work with pads that are severely out of grade.
1. Sing contract and pay deposit.
2. Acquire necessary permits (though this is often unnecessary for agricultural projects).
3. Prepare site.
4. Crew drills holes and has them inspected when required.
5. Crew constructs building.
Yes. We offer a variety of interior packages, including steel siding and ceiling, drywall, plywood, and pine tongue and groove. We also offer complete horse stall packages, including tongue and groove walls and even tile flooring. Ask your sales rep about our many interior options.
We can build barndominiums, but there are several limitations:
1. We only offer barndominiums within 1 hour of our Harrisonburg office.
2. We can only construct the building shell, leaving the customer responsible for all of the interior finishing.
3. It is nearly impossible to finance a barndominium through a traditional lender. To put things into perspective, we have talked to approximately 150-200 people since 2019 who were interested in barndominiums, yet we have only completed 2 of those projects. Because of this, we recommend searching for a bank willing to finance the project before diving into plans and pricing (unless, of course, you plan to finance the project with cash).
Most post frame garage floors are finished with either 4” of stone or 4” of stone and 4” of concrete. You may choose to do this yourself or have us do it for you.
Yes. Ask your sales rep for details.
Due to the current volatility of material prices, our quotes are only accurate for one day.